The Morristown Unitarian Fellowship is seeking an Acting Music Director to oversee the musical life of our congregation, including in worship and concerts, our choirs, soloists, instrumentalists, and special musical guests. This position is opening as our current Music Director will retire after nearly 12 years with us on January 28th.
An important goal for the first few months of the Acting Music Director will be to collaborate with the leadership of our congregation in a project of assessing and re-imagining our Music Program. We hope to adapt and change our music program in ways that engage and inspire young and old alike. We also hope to identify and build upon existing traditions that will continue to serve us well into the future. The Acting period is anticipated to last six months, after which time the congregation anticipates hiring a permanent Music Director. (The Acting Music Director will be considered, if they are interested.)
Our Music Director works closely and collaboratively with our Senior Minister/Service Leaders to create vibrant worship that meets the needs of a religiously diverse and multigenerational community. Our religious experience embraces a broad range of music and services from traditional to non-traditional and from classical to contemporary.
The Morristown Unitarian Fellowship is a very active community with people meeting for worship, small groups, education, community building, social service and justice projects seven days a week. Our membership includes about 350 adults and 100 children and youth. We are located in Morristown, New Jersey, and our congregants come from throughout Morris County and beyond.
The position is currently based on a 25-hour work week. We hold Sunday Services at 9am &11am. (One Sunday Service at 10AM, Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend.)
Salary: Competitive. We follow UUA Fair Compensation Guidelines.
Please send resumes and cover letters as soon as possible to the Acting Music Director Search Committee: Robin Richards, Edith Ng, Bob Scott, Talley Summerlin, and Rev. Alison Miller at email@example.com.
Requirements: A music degree in music education, performance (with choral emphasis) or comparable experience. Piano skills are required in solo literature, accompanying choirs and instrumentalists, and leading hymns. In addition, the Music Director should have the training and experience to carry out the duties below.
Desirable qualities: Prior experience working with children, arranging music and directing a church/synagogue or equivalent organization.
Responsibilities: The Music Director at the Morristown Unitarian Universalist Fellowship supervises the Fellowship’ entire music ministry and the music staff and serves as a focal point for creating community around music within the Fellowship.
– Collaborate with the minister and other Fellowship leaders in the development of worship.
– Choose music in consultation with ministers/service leaders.
– Arrange for a wide variety of musicians and styles of music.
– Arrange for music that connects across diverse religious traditions and cultures of the world.
– Play piano during most services. Other instruments welcome.
– Design and implement special musical services and other events.
– Support and develop the experience of congregational singing.
– Encourage singers/musicians to join the Adult Choir.
– Rehearse with Adult Choir(s) once a week and lead choir at selected services.
– Recruit and prepare choir for special services, such as Christmas Eve, holidays.
– Create ad hoc choirs or other musical groups to expand the musical experience available to adult musicians.
Children’s and Youth Music
– Develop, plan and support music programs for our youth.
– Recruit, encourage, and coach young musicians to provide music for services and other Fellowship events.
– Manage the music budget, music library and instruments.
– Work with the Music Committee to plan programs and activities that will enrich congregational life and reach out into the community with music.
– In collaboration with Fellowship staff and leaders, cast a vision for the future of the Morristown Unitarian Universalist Fellowship.
– Maintain contact with music colleagues in other churches and with the wider denomination through involvement in the various professional musical organizations.
– Providing music at weddings, memorial services and other private events are at the discretion of the Music Director and an honorarium may be requested.